I was inspired to make this popular salad after trying a similar version at Monsieur Marcel Pain Vin et Fromage at Los Angeles’ Original Farmers Market at the Grove. A picnic favorite, this savory, refreshing, and easy-to-make side dish will accompany any entrées.
- Spring mix
- ½ pound asparagus, with end trimmed
- 1-pound mini heirloom tomatoes, halved; or cut to 1 inch cubes if using large heirlooms
- 8-oz fresh mozzarella, cubed
- ½ cup homemade pesto sauce
lay the serving dish with a bed of baby greens spring mix, blanch the asparagus for 3 minutes, let it cool, cut into 1-inch pieces. Add the tomatoes, cubed mozzarella, and toss in the homemade pesto.
Homemade Pesto Sauce
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Blend basil, garlic, pine nuts, and olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the parmesan. Enjoy!